Thursday, October 26, 2006

Apple fool

A neighbour gave us four large Bramley apples. I had one left after making a crumble the previous weekend, and used it to make a fool.

I peeled the apple, cut it into quarters, took out the sections of core, and cut the fruit into pieces, dropping the pieces as I went along into water acidulated with the juice of half a lemon (it prevents discolouration). When I had finished, I put the pieces into a saucepan with a drop of the water, a pinch of cinnamon, and a dstsp of caster sugar. I covered the pan, and set it on a low to medium heat. The apple had collapsed and was turning into a puree after about eight minutes: I uncovered the pan, to allow liquid to evaporate. I wanted the puree to be thick; but there came a time, after about another eight minutes, when it did not seem to be getting any thicker. I let it cool.

I poured a 227 ml pot of double cream into a bowl, and whipped it until it formed soft peaks. It's always tempting -- with cream and with egg whites -- to carry on for just a while longer; but double cream goes solid, and useless for fooling purposes, very quickly. As I had hoped, I ended up with roughly equal volumes of cream and apple.

I tasted the apple. Perfect: tart, but not sour. I folded in the cream, and poured the fool into four glasses, which I covered with cling film.

There were two hours until lunch. Fool should be chilly; so, for 20 minutes of that time, I put the glasses in the freezer.

4 comments:

WillSkid said...

That sounds nice. I am very fond of fools. Have you ever made an apricot fool with dried Hunza apricots from Afghanistan? You are meant to crack the apricot stones and add the nuts - time-consuming but delicious. It's something my mother sometimes makes - I think the recipe might be Jane Grigson's.

Nicholas Clee said...

Golly, no. I must get hold of some. Where should I try?

willskid said...

Good health food type shops sometimes do them - eg. Bumblebee on Brecknock Road. They are worth it - they have a completely different taste and texture to ordinary apricots. I'm going home this weekend so will check the recipe out with my mother.

lee woo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.