Monday, May 12, 2008

Tardy Jersey Royals

My latest New Statesman column is about Jersey Royals -- which I have not tasted yet this year. My greengrocer says that they are still too expensive. The crop is down, as the Jersey Royal Company told me; I should guess that the supermarkets have taken a large share of it.

So we had some new potatoes from France: not bad, but definitely second best. I was not as clear as I might have been in the column when I wrote that I did not like to assemble the potatoes with lots of other ingredients; what I meant to say was that I did not like preparing them with ingredients that masked their flavour. Yesterday, we had a big mixed salad: potatoes; roast belly pork; roasted peppers; rocket; a few tomatoes. I made a vinaigrette with 1tbsp of vinegar, half a tsp of Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, 2tbsp of olive oil, 1tbsp of sesame oil, and 1dstsp of soy sauce.

2 comments:

emma said...

The Jersey Royals I bought from Tesco this week as a treat were very disappointing - both in flavour and texture. I certainly won't be buying any more. It would seem that french potatoes are much better!

Nicholas Clee said...

That's interesting. Perhaps the storms and frost diminished the quality as well as the quantity of the potatoes. But, as I say in the NS piece, I have often been disappointed by Jerseys from supermarkets.