Monday, March 16, 2009

Red cabbage salad

I have come to admit to myself, rather late in life, that I am not especially fond of cooked red cabbage. Perhaps my problem is the assertiveness of the acid content, which is essential to preserve its colour. I like it raw, though.

Quarter red cabbage, shredded (this may be a job best done by a mandolin) and washed
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
5tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt, pepper
3tbsp raisins, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
3tbsp pine kernels, toasted in a saucepan over a very gentle heat

Grind salt to taste into the vinegar in a salad bowl, stir to dissolve, and whisk in the oil. Throw in the cabbage, raisins, and pine nuts, grind over pepper to taste, and toss.

2 comments:

elwyn said...

Your salad sounds tasty. Perhaps the following recipe may change your mind about cooked red cabbage.
As the cooking time is two-and-a-half hours I suggest you bake it with a roast.

In an ovenproof dish place all the ingredients divided into two layers.

Half a sliced red cabbage with the white core removed
3 chopped or sliced onions
4 small peeled, sliced green apples
3 1/2 tablespoons vinegar
3 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/4 cups red wine
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
the zest of 1 small orange
salt and ground pepper

Cover the casserole dish and bake at 180 C (350F)
for approximately 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally during the cooking time. If all the liquid in the dish is not absorbed by the cabbage during cooking, turn the oven up a little towards the end.

Serves 6

Nicholas Clee said...

That looks excellent. I'm not sure that I would enjoy it - but I know several people who would.