Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ricotta pudding

This recipe is adapted from one in Claudia Roden's The Food of Italy (she says it's from Sardinia), the main differences being that I had a 225g packet of ricotta rather than the 300g she specifies, and that I thought that 300g of honey was twice as much as I wanted.

My flan dish (22cm) may be larger than the one she uses (she doesn't give a measurement), because my pudding was ready in 30 minutes rather than the 45 she suggests.

225g ricotta
100g ground almonds
150g honey
3 eggs
Juice of one orange


Mix all the ingredients. Or, for a smoother result, put the ricotta through the blender, then add the rest of the ingredients.

Lightly oil a flan dish. Pour in the ricotta mixture, and bake at gas mark 6/200C for 30 minutes, or until golden and firm.

Cakes and puddings made with ground almonds can be somewhat dry. This is deliciously moist, with a sweet tang.

2 comments:

elwyn said...

What a great recipe Nicholas. I have invited a gluten-intolerant friend to lunch and shall cook this pudding.
The uncomplicated method appeals to me also, and this dish would be a marvellous stand-by for any time.

On just reading the recipe, the amount of honey you suggest looks quite enough.

Something tells me a sprig of rosemary on top would look attractive. Fresh figs would also be a great accompaniment in summer.

Nicholas Clee said...

Hope you like it, Elwyn. Having tried this once, and not bothering to blend the ricotta, I'd probably try to produce a smoother version next time.