Saturday, February 01, 2014

'White' potatoes

Potatoes labelled simply “Whites”, I have always thought, are the poor relations of the maincrop world – the equivalent of robusta coffee, or the Aligoté grape. But the Whites on sale at my local greengrocer – White Bros, as it happens – are excellent. Roasted, they have a crunchy exterior and a creamy, earthily flavoured interior.

I have banged on about the best way to roast potatoes quite a few times. Essentially: I peel them, cut them up, put them in cold water with a little salt, bring them to the boil, and boil them for three to five minutes. I bash up the surfaces.

I do not think it essential to put them in hot oil or fat. (But of course if you have fat or dripping, you need to melt it.) I toss the potatoes in sunflower or olive oil, and roast them at gas mark 6/200C, turning them a few times, for about an hour.

The posts to which I've linked below may not be 100% consistent with what I've just written.

Heston's roast potatoes
Roast potatoes IV
Roast new potatoes


San said...

Dob your greengrocer in to Trading Standards if they're not specifying the potato variety. It's an offence under The Food Labelling Regulations 1996:

3. The name used for potatoes sold as such shall include or be accompanied by an indication of their variety.

Supermarkets manage it; wholesalers manage it; why can't greengrocers and market stalls?

Nicholas Clee said...

Should have researched this subject before posting. So "whites" could be anything, and the next lot I buy could be rubbish. Oh, well.