Monday, May 05, 2014

Falafels - der Haroutunian 2

I wrote an entry about this recipe, and then realised that I had covered it before, six years ago (here).

The main difference, when I made falafels this lunchtime, was that I used der Haroutunian’s quantities with 1 drained tin of chickpeas. I whizzed in the food processor all the ingredients except 1tbsp of gluten-free flour – which I used as a binding agent instead of breadcrumbs, because of the gluten-intolerant member of our household. I transferred the mixture to a bowl, and then stirred in the flour.

I rolled small pieces of the mixture gently between my palms to create falafels the size of golf balls. (The drawback of turmeric among ingredients you have to manipulate is that it stains – be careful.)

This time, I used a heavy, 28cm frying pan, large enough to fry all the falafels in one batch.


The recipe comes from Arto der Haroutunian's Vegetarian Dishes of the Middle East (Grub Street).

No comments: