Monday, March 26, 2007

Apple tart

Last week, I mentioned that I had used the wrong apples in a pudding. For an apple tart, you can use two kinds: Bramleys, for a layer of puree, and eating apples (mine were Coxes) to provide the segments on top.

Pastry

I again used the Elizabeth David method for the pastry. 150 g plain flour;
3 tsp caster sugar; 75 g butter, cut into small cubes and chilled; pinch salt; about 3 tbsp chilled water. Rub the butter into the flour, sugar and salt, and add just enough water to form a coherent dough. Spread the dough by hand into a buttered, 22 cm tart tin.

Prick the dough with a fork, cover with kitchen paper, and weigh down with baking beans, if you have them, or perhaps with rice or with dried beans. (I use another tart tin, with another tin on top of that.) Bake at gas mark 6/200 C for 15 minutes; remove the paper and weights, and bake for five minutes longer, or until the pastry is dry.

Apples

I Bramley, peeled, quartered and cut into small chunks
6 Coxes (or other tart eating apples -- Granny Smiths might be good), peeled, quartered, and cut into segments
Caster sugar
30 g butter
Granulated sugar

You can toss the apples in lemon juice, or place them in acidulated water, to prevent discolouring.

Put the Bramley segments into a saucepan with a little water and sugar to taste, cover, and cook over a low to medium heat until you have a puree. It should be thick but spreadable. If it is too runny, simmer it uncovered for a few minutes. Spread the puree over the pastry.

In a frying pan over a high heat, toss the Coxes in the butter until the water evaporates and the segments are golden and softening slightly. Arrange the segments over the puree, in traditional apple tart formation (if you know what I mean).

Bake at gas mark 5/190 C for 30 minutes.

I must admit that the surface of my tart was a little pale and uninteresting. I think that I should have sprinkled some granulated sugar over it, to caramelise.

No comments: